Thursday, April 9, 2009

Scales and Pails; (in which we get the one, and not the other)


Well, we're getting the tail end of a storm it looks like, a drop in temperatures and no drop in wind! But it isn't as bad as they were calling for, and is now expected to be in the 50's somewhere. I don't know if it's supposed to last a while or not, I guess I'll find out!
I ordered a Pelouze Dairy scale from Hoegger's yesterday. Our old one was pretty worn out it seemed. (Had a nice talk with a very nice lady there, from GA. She said they'd had bad weather, it froze the previous night. I had to laugh. Makes me feel not so guilty for our own weather compared to South Dakota.)

I wanted to order the scale from Caprine Supply, because I really super-like their 8 qt. milk pail and have been wanting to have a second one for years. But we order so very rarely... so I loved the idea of the perfect excuse; we were going to be paying shipping on the scale anyway!
But... they didn't have it! (They had other scales, but not the Pelouze, which accurately measures to .10 lb. )
How could they! Ruin my beautiful plan, to get a beautiful milk pail. Now I am back to where I started... just wishing.
Oh, well.
Now that things have pretty much settled down from the move, we are going to try to get the does milk production recorded, in-house style. I had thought of trying DHI, but we don't have much for a dairy community around here locally, and finding a tester is bound to be like a needle in a haystack. (And not knowing if the needle's actually there!)
So we are going to go with barn records, which will not allow us into the Top Ten, but I don't really expect to be going there anyway. We just feed regular alfalfa and grain... and if it turns out we have a whopper in the barn, we can always go official next year.
Anyway, so now I am actually hoping that Argentina will not kid until the shiny new scale arrives. If she is contrary and kids out anyway, I guess we'll just measure until it gets here.


And hey! What'd'ya know? Very First comments!
Thanks, guys!

Hey Vanessa! Thanks for stopping by, I love to here from neighbors! Which town are you by? And thanks for the compliment, I can't wait for the grass to really green things up, and the leaves to come out on the trees. I guess that translates into 'summer'? Well, late spring.

And Livelife100percent, thanks to you too! Not quite picture perfect... you'd be surprised some days! Still, you're absolutely right, and I am very grateful for the opportunities that I have before me.

No comments:

Post a Comment