Tuesday, April 7, 2009

April, and we're waiting for the kids to start...

Well, here it is April already. And it seems we are just flying through it.
I can almost hear the whistle blow, Too-woot! "Next stop... May!"
I am anxious for our first kids to arrive. We usually have already had some by now, but this year we bred the does too kid out pretty late.
It sort of just worked out that way, and I thought it might turn out to be a nice break, certainly save us from the, 'the goats are kidding and it's storming out' scenario.
But we just got a storm here last week. Not a bad one, but nothing I'd want to be born in, if I was a little goat.
Our first doe, Argentina, is due later on this week. Of course she will not, (it's almost guaranteed!) With years and years of waiting for does to 'just kid, please!' I expect that she will actually kid next week sometime.
Which will work out all right, since the weather has cleared and become nice again. One nice thing about spring storms is that they rarely last long. (Of course, depends on where you live. Can't just tell that to the folks up north! Fargo Flooding and Snowfall )

[On a side note, friends up in the western end of SD. tell us they've got six foot drifts in some places, and worse in others. (Was I just complaining about the weather? We got a few inches.)]

Back to the subject, I am a little surprised at how anxious I am for the little critters to get here with them being scheduled later than normal. I didn't expect it of me! I have been through so many kidding seasons I should think that I would be a very old hand at this game. Which I am, but I guess it still gets to you.
Goat people are just like that!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Another Nebraskan! I love the pictures of your farm :)

    ~Vanessa
    http://a-sweet-fragrance.xanga.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice to meet u here.Your life looks picture perfect :-) Far away from the maddening crowd!!Keep posting and look luck with ur sheep this season.

    ReplyDelete