Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Introduction

Hello!
This is my first post, so I'll just give myself a little intro. This blog will be about whatever happens to catch my fancy long enough to make it to the net, mainly, most likely, things that go on around the farm here and in my 'rural living' life. Since this has been the way I grew up, (for which I am thankful!) I'll probably mostly jot down things that are out of the ordinary, or something that I am trying to figure out.
In this day and age, and with the way things are going in the world in general, I am also very grateful that the Lord has blessed me by placing me in a family that sticks together and that wouldn't consider living in anything remotely resembling a city. By having an animal based family business that allows us to be located in some pretty remote places, we have had the privilege of experiencing as children a sort of freedom that probably mainly went extinct at least half a century ago.
I must confess it's pretty addicting.
We moved the whole kit and caboodle to western Nebraska in the summer/fall of 2006, and have been blessed with really terrific neighbors, pleasant winters, and green, green summers, ever since.
Since childhood, my siblings and I have always had lots of exposure to all sorts of the common domestic animals, and one species that we last picked up when I was seven, and has stuck with us ever since, is our own dear dairy goats. Although Dad talks of a cow, we two goat-keepers won't hear of parting with our pretties. They are reliable and prolific milkers, despite the vagaries of fortune which often brings changes in their grain.
Last year I did the research and purchased two packages of Italian bees, (which begat a story unto itself.) Having our own honey has been a 'bee in our bonnet', (if you'll pardon the pun,) for years and years. Previously living in droughtier and colder climate, we had not gotten up the courage to make it a go, but with our relocation to the sunny hills of Nebraska we decided to do it. It especially helped to see all the flowering things beside the roadways, and in every draw. We were encouraged that bees could readily thrive here. So far, so good!
There are several more things I need to get figured out about this format, but I hope to put up some more soon. Until then...
Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

  1. Looks as though I couldn't wait until tomorrow. Being up late, listening to the storm is soothing.

    I've been through NE many times on my way from IL to visit family in CO. Where did you live before NE?

    We happen to be in a very small town in northern IL and are planning on purchasing land in MS or TN. It is a blessing to live in such conditions and with a family that is close and loving.

    I have five children, two of whom have grown up and are on their own. Sadly I don't see them as often as I'd like. Enjoy the days you have together as they are so precious.

    Thanks again for sharing your peaceful life. It's inspiring.

    ReplyDelete